The history of Agriculture Department, Serchhip began a long time back and initially functioned as a small office in this same location. It was upgraded to Sub-Divisional Agriculture Office (SDAO) in the year 1984 and functioned under the jurisdiction of District Agriculture Office, Aizawl East. In the year 2007 when Shri. H. Rammawia was then the Agriculture Minister, the office was inaugurated as a full fledge District Agriculture Office in 26th June 2007.
Nature of works and duties
- To help farmers to be self supporting and harvesting abundant agricultural products.
- To help farmers in land development and improvement and make water available for cultivation.
- To arrange link road and connect potential agriculture area for product transportation.
- To make essential items such as Power Tiller, Tractor, Water Pumpset, Knapsack Sprayer, Brush Cutter etc available to them by means of subsidy through Farm Mechanization Schemes.
- To impart modern technology skills and knowledge to farmers through training and necessary assistance for protection of crops using pesticides and insecticides.