The role of the Office of the Deputy Commissioner is vast and wide. As it is the seat of the head of district administration, it deals withall walks of life including the rich and the poor, the young and the old, and various branches of the Government. Deputy Commissioner’s Office serves as the watchdog of all Departments in the district ensuring that certain accepted norms and guidelines are followed by it thereby bringing diligence and transparency in work culture.
This Office plays a pivotal role in the field of law and order; it ensures that peace and tranquillity is maintained in the district. It conducts election for Assembly, Parliamentary as well as Village Council election; it ensures that electoral roll is purified and authenticated through various revisions. It also deals with developmental works and various Centrally Sponsored Schemes, Inner Line regulations, arms and explosives, land and building, relief and rehabilitation, census, consumer forum, and various certificates are issued and handled by this Office alone. This office has dynamically coordinated with Non-Governmental Organisations so that the voice of the people in the form of organisation is never ruled out.
This Office directly deals with the citizen. On everyday basis, it is providing numerous citizen centric services from school children to adults. Deputy Commissioner’s Office, Serchhip is committed to achieving the goals of citizen centric administration through effective delivery of public services in an atmosphere of transparency, accountability and efficiency.
To actively indulge in the pursuit of excellence in good governance by providing a transparent, trustworthy, responsive, efficient and accountable district administration.
- Co-ordinating all departments for smooth and effective functioning of administrative machinery in the district.
- To successfully implement and monitor all developmental works and schemes like MPLADS, MLALADS, BADP etc. and Government flagship programme NLUP through authorised agencies.
- Conducting a free and fair election, preparing an authentic electoral roll and issue EPIC.
- Maintaining law and order through the exercise of magisterial powers.
- Enumerating and registering nation-wide censuses like Biometric enumeration, NPR, SECC as and when required.
- Observing important National days and maintaining of Protocols.
- Upholding Inner Line Regulations through notified Guidelines.
- Redressing public grievances and queries by promoting rapid service delivery to the citizens.
- Disseminating best practices, easy approach and grass root level service delivery to the citizens.
Organisational Set Up & Details of Business Transacted
The Office is headed by the Deputy Commissioner who supervises and controls the functioning of all the branches through officers and staffs subordinate to him. The Organisational structure of the Office is enclosed in Annxure 1. The Deputy Commissioner is the Chairman of various Committees in the district as many as 40.
The details of business transacted is as under:-
- Law and Order/Judicial
- As the Office of the District Magistrate, it is responsible for maintenance of law and order, peace and tranquillity, controlling and supervising the executive magistrates and the action of district police.
- Issue of prohibitory orders when there is a threat to public peace under CRPC etc. and disposal of petitions received from the government and others.
- It also deals with matters of arms and explosives, sanction prosecution order in case of contravention of Arms Act, 1959. It is also in-charge of recovery of loans and debts under MPDRA 2001 certificate case through Sub-Divisional Magistrate.
- Election Branch